LIVE EVENT: iBrand uTweet Closing the Social Media to Sales Gap
Register for iBrand, uTweet: Closing the Social Media to Sales Gap in Las Vegas, United States  on Eventbrite

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 2: Twitter's Rules and Regulations


So this is day two. I've decided that during my quest to the top 1000 I will keep everyone posted on what I'm doing to get there. That way when I'm done, this will serve as a how to guide for anyone with similar aspirations.

Today I finished off my twitter profile. I came up with a bio that makes me laugh, and I found a really cool back ground at http://www.twitrbackgrounds.com/photo-twitter-backgrounds/crack. There are actually quite a few sites with backgrounds, but I really liked this one.

I also did some research on following limits. It turns out that twitter limits the total number of follows you can do in a day to 1000. As if that weren't enough, after you hit 2000 follows, then they restrict you with a mysterious ratio. So what does that mean exactly? Good questions. It means they don't want anyone to follow a lot more people than they have followers. So what's the ratio? Well twitter doesn't say. Their example is of someone trying to follow 10,000 accounts when they only have 100 followers. That seems reasonable, but in reality the ratio seems to be much stricter than that.

I read a complaint online where someone had a ratio of about 1.4 to 1, and twitter stopped them from following additional people. I read another article that said that the number is 180. Meaning that after you get over 2000 follows then you can only follow 180 more account than you have followers. I don't actually think that's correct. But I do think the ratio has to be closer to 1 to 1 than I would like; especially since I have such an aggressive goal.

So what is to be done? Well the simple truth is that if you would like to grow quickly you must find ways to build your followers other than by following others. It also means that you cannot follow everyone that follows you if you have over a thousand people following you a day, or if you want to grow you followers by following new people.

Therefore I would like to make a disclaimer. If you follow me, I may not follow you. I would like to follow you. In fact I would love to follow you. However, in order to keep my ratios in check I most likely will not be able to follow all of my followers. In fact, I may have to un-follow some folks I currently follow. Too bad; so sad. Please don’t take this personally. I am still interested in all of you, and each one of you is important to reach my goals, so please continue to follow me even if I can’t follow you.

In addition to learn more about Twitter’s rules, and completing my profile, I also have started using a program called TweetAdder 3.0. This program is helping me to manage my follows, followers, messages, and to search for followers that would be interested in what I have to say. If you’re interested go to www.tweetadder.com.

That’s it for today. There will be more coming soon. If there are specific topics you’d like me to cover on this blog, feel free to comment bellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.facebookloginhut.com/facebook-login/ http://www.facebookloginhut.com/facebook-login/ http://www.facebookloginhut.com/facebook-login/ http://www.facebookloginhut.com/facebook-login/